Saturday 13 November 2010

Task 5

My personal gaming history.
Well, it would seem that games have been around somewhere throughout my life. Being born in the generation of half decent games,  games would be a big part of it.
The earliest memory I have is of playing pac-man, I had no idea what I was doing but I remember the bright colours on a old computer screen. I don’t know what I thought of it back then.
However, years later, when I was roughly 5, maybe 6, my parents bought me a Game Boy for my birthday. Getting this 5 or more years since its release in 1990, (I thought it was brand new and amazed by its thick block design. It wasn’t retro than but It looked cool.) set the trend for how I would get my other consoles, many years after their release. Not only because they’re cheaper, but because they often upgrade. So yes, the first console that was personally mine was a Game Boy. I remember playing it so much the music to the games would get stuck in my head and I could hear it as clear as day, having to check back to make sure the console was off. I also remember how it would hurt my eyes. When I go back home for Christmas, I think Ill collect it again and review this 4 Battery brick, to remind myself.
(Damn, youre ugly. Also Ive seen this in person in NY, its legit.)

Roughly around this time I also remember playing the Nintendo Entertainment System, more, my brother playing and me watching. I’d get bullied a lot by him so I could only really play games when he was not. I do remember playing Super Mario Bros (and Super Mario Land for the Game Boy), mainly because I could never complete them. At all. Along with every other NES game, I could never complete them. I never have.
The Super Nintendo Entertainment System also ruled my world, mainly because of one game. Super Bomberman. Super Bomberman, is and always will be one of the greatest games there is; its simple, story mode had lots of interesting monsters and bosses, upgrades, genderless graphics. If I could get one game and recreate it for other 7th gen consoles. This would be it, I would reproduce it in such a way that no feeling would be lost. Its charm was in its 16 bit sprites, sound effects, music and simple game play. Qualities of which many modern games have lost. I also remember buying many rental games for the SNES from blockbusters, every game I bought for the SNES was achualy enjoyable. Its like they weren’t even trying to make a good game, because the game would be good. Games of the future should look at the games of the past, instead of the games that some other dick is making and try to copy. Yeah I’m looking at you Medal of Honor, PS3 movment controllers and more!
I also have memories of playing the Sega Megadrive over my uncles house, I only remember playing Sonic and a fighting game. Any other game was just awful.
(Kill the fucking cancer patient, you retarded icecream!)
In 1999, the pokemon craze hit, still with my original Game Boy, I bought Pokemon Blue and my brother Red. It was a fun game than, with no real problems. Funny how looking back at it, it was awful, you couldn’t even run for fuck sake! This controlled a huge part of my life and everyone elses, so its no point in talking about. Only fun point was when I downloaded Japanese Roms of Pokemon Gold and Silver onto my computer and pretended I knew what I was reading.
Around 1999 got a PsOne, about six years after its release, but the good games were rolling out. The only game I feel worth some attention is one Silent Bomber. Its gameplay was that of a Shooter, but instead you used bombs, it had a very tech feel to it. Its funny how some games get it right, but they don’t get asmuch light as they should. Although I would say the story was dry, just the gameplay and concepts were great! Also, the PlayStation controllers got it right, somewhat like the SNES conroler, but with a perfect gaming feel, the butons were easy and control pad worked fine. It sickens me that they want to change it in our age.
Anyway, years gone past playing Jade Cacoon on the Ps1. I got my very own PS2. It was pretty sweet, although I never bought any other games than the ones I got with it. Basicaly Ive played Resident Evil Outbreak for some 6+ years. Other games like Persona 3 + 4 I loved for the story. I also had an Xbox, of which the game I enjoyed the most was Jet Set Radio Future, a game I got free with buying the Xbox. Its gameplay was that like of Toney Hawks skateboarding, but with rollerbladers, who had to graffiti tag walls.
(Yeah, dance for me, fools.)
And the tagging was good, all the art work for the game blew my mind. Along with the music, which I still listen to today. The character designs were also very sweet. Even though it was stylised it didn’t subtract from gameplay one bit. Other games like Halo, sure were a blast, although I remember the endings pissed me off. Any game that has a “ Too be continued “ should fuck right off. Why? Well look at this. You buy at (than) £25-£30 game (book/movie), you go through all the hardship that is there to go through. Just to be told you have to spend another £25-£30 in another year or more, while you wait for the next to be released. Not cool. But games don’t end at the end, are not worth my time or money. Did games before 2000 do that? No, no they did not.
After all this PS2 and Xbox stuff. I spent most of my time playing online games. The first being Legend of Mir. I played it because of its cool gritty feel, you could get swords and all sorts of spells. The weapon levels were cool also. However it wasn’t until I played Ragnarok Online, which has gone onto be my favourite game of all time, that online gaming became much more than just slaying monsters. It’s a 3D world, with 2D sprite characters and monsters. All superbly designed, the sprites simply look beautiful, the amount of monsters in this game means that grinding does not get boring.
(Look at how much love whent into this sprite! And thats just one of many.)
It doesn’t, theres so much choice. Your character customisation is superior to other games, by simply having a huge number of accessories and hair colours. The build system of this game is out of this world, your character can be what ever you want. They came out with Ragnarok Online 2, which was a HUGE FLOP. I played the Korean beta, they tried to reproduce a generic online game. It didn’t work. However now theyre making it more like the original. Hopefuly.
Simply. After all this gaming, I decided to go back and play older games. I did not continue into the 7th generation of consoles and games. I have no Wii, Xbox 360 or PS3. Why? Because there are so many games that were amazing in the past, that didn’t even require good graphics. Why didn’t they require good graphics? Because the games foundations were good.
(PK MAIDS! PK MAIDS! MAIDS!!!! I just like maids.)
I played Earthbound a early this year, its story was amazing, it didn’t matter that I couldn’t run. It mattered that random battles were annoying, but I could wave that because I wanted to see what was going to happen to the main character.
Games of today should look at games of the past, which is why I will continue to look at previous games. The main selling point of the games of this generation is its title. I feel its fucking stupid, no ones making good new games, just remakes. Its like they’ve hit a wall, when that happens you have to go backward, to go forward. And by this I dont mean remaking Pac-Man.

TL;DR : I stopped playing games at 6th gen. I enjoy games before 7th gen more. I want new games not remake titles.

(Also, if Ragnarok Online 2 Legend of whatever, is good. Im going to fail my course. http://ro-projectrevolution.blogspot.com/  Good God!)
Aslo, dont you feel bad when you realise your perants bought you all these games and things? I do. Oddly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment